- Do not overdo the meetings. Limit them to three to four times a day with a timespan of no more than 15-20 minutes. These short and frequent visits will ensure that either party does not feel threatened or overwhelmed.
- Feed both of them at the same time with the bowls placed nearby after the first month. Giving food together helps garner a sense of pack mentality in each of them. This action ensures the bond gets more robust as time progresses.
- Last but not least, if all of the above steps go as per plan, you may start leaving them alone in unsupervised conditions. An occasional check every 20-30 mins is recommended nevertheless.
If the progress is not going well in between, never shy away from taking a step back to keep the situation under control. Beagles often behave differently in the absence of the owner. So it is advisable to leave them unsupervised now and again.
Take care to give equal love and attention to both the cat and the dog. This statement may sound silly, but it is not. When either of the animals feels the other one is the family’s / owner’s favorite, they look at them as a competitor instead of a friend. This emotion can pave the way for unwanted jealousy, anger, and physical aggression subsequently.
Once you and your pets cross through this tricky phase, it will be followed by harmony and peaceful co-existence. You will get to know that all the effort was worth it as both of them will shower genuine love and affection upon the other.
As a pet owner, this is a truly fulfilling and enriching experience. Sometimes I feel my Julia (Cat) and Jimmy (Beagle) love each other more than the sibling bond between my kids! Yes, guys, the effort is worth it.
Additional Considerations to Keep in Mind
- As we saw earlier, beagles have the hunter and tracker instinct in them. There will be occasional chasing and running around the house or anywhere outside, like the park or the garden. If the friendship bond is strong enough, both of them will consider this a game rather than an assault.
- Ensure that your home and garden have sufficient high spots that can help your cat plan an escape if the beagle starts acting aggressively by any chance. Cats can quickly jump at high positions, making them inaccessible to the dog.
- It is always recommended to keep the age difference as low as possible while selecting the cat or the beagle. A senior member’s treatment of a child member of the other species can be unpredictable and risky.
- Even after taking all precautions to keep the cat’s litter box away from the dog, there is a chance the beagle will still manage to consume the cat poop. If you observe any health issues with the dog, seek medical attention at the earliest. The harmful bacteria and parasites can infect your beagle in no time. Never indulge in self-treatments. Let the experts – veterinarians or dog trainers handle and resolve the problem.
Despite all these considerations, the story of bonding between each beagle and cat would be different. Character traits and likeability towards the other species can often be a subjective choice.